Saturday, March 05, 2005

When boyhood dreams come true

So last night I saw a boyhood dream come true. I finally drove a fire engine.

I'm currently training for my "Emergency Vehicle Operator Course - Levels II and III" (EVOC) so I can legally drive ambulances and fire apparatus with the lights and sirens and such in response to the fire and rescue dispatches.

Our Fire Chief took a couple of us out last night so we could drive some courses and such before our test this week. On the way to the training area (a large school parking lot where it's hard to hit things) we had a call for a structure fire. Figures. Normally that's the sort of thing we live for (otherwise why be a firefighter?) but last night I was pissed (the american definition - not the british one) because the class is next week and I need some practice time behind the wheel. Fortunately we weren't on scene for too long and we were able to get the training done.

I'm all excited. I drove a fire engine. Scary thing is - I did a decent job of it.

The tricky bit was the Chief setup a small course. Basically 3 traffic cones in a straight line just over one fire engine length apart. The object was the navigate forward through it, and then back up through it.

I got it in one! *flex* Wtf!?

So let's see if I pass the state tests this week. Classes are tuesday, thurs, sat and sun at the Loundon County Fire and Rescue Training facility.

No comments: