Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Election fever, results and a sigh of relief



So my fire department annual elections have come and gone. Thankfully the result was overall pretty good.

While I think that electing the company level officers (Lieutenant and Captain) is really really really really really really really dumb, I don't see many other recourses in a volunteer organization. Just because people like you, or don't like you - doesn't mean you are the best qualified person to ensure that everyone goes home at the end of the shift.

After all, that's the primary job of the company officer.

The paid guys in LCFR have a good solid testing process. If you know your stuff, you pass and go on the lieutenant/captain's list. If you don't - you don't.

I was nominated for LT, but thankfully didn't win. I really didn't want the job, but I wanted someone else to become LT even less, so I accepted the nomination. Happily neither of us are the LT.

This means I can relax, and continue learning/training and gaining experience that one day, if i end up in that front right seat, will be very helpful.

No comments: